Sunday, March 2, 2014

1980s Carlos Model No. 240S Acoustic Guitar

Vintage solid-top dreadnought, date unknown, but sweeter than words can describe 



If you've been following this blog, by now you know that I'm a full-blown Carlos enthusiast. I had never even heard of them before I came across a Model No. 249 in August 2012, but the way that one played and sounded was enough to get me hooked. This is the 12th Carlos guitar that I've picked up since then and four of them are still in my possession.

This is the first Carlos solid-top model that I've had my hands on and it sounds absolutely incredible, with both the low end and brights ringing out loud and clear. Cosmetically, there are just a couple of small dings on the face of the guitar, but not really any other flaws. The wood on both the front and back of the guitar are very attractive and the cream binding also classes it up.

I'm having trouble dating this one, as there is no serial number listed anywhere, but my educated guess would be somewhere between 1981 and 1985. I did have a Model No. 240 at one point, but that one was an older one, based on the style of the tuning pegs and the adjustable saddle. The Carlos logo on the headstock of this guitar is also unlike any other that I've seen thus far. If you have any information on this model, please pass it along...

Thanks for looking, more high-resolution photos available here.

3 comments:

  1. Bom dia
    Sou luthier e estou construindo alguns exemplares do modelo jumbo de CARLOS, estudei a planta por quase 2 anos, e maravilhado com a qualidade e ressonância da caixa.
    Mas gostaria muito de saber sobre Carlos, sua biografia e principalmente ouvir timbre de algum instrumento dele pois nao encontrei nada nem na net nem YouTube
    Se puder me ajudar ficarei eternamente grato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up a Carlos 240 today at a pawn shop in Tallahassee FL.for $60 cash. The action is higher than a cats back but can be adjusted with the screws on the sides. Other than that it's in great condition with some buckle scratch's on back. The sound I hear coming out of this thing is georgeous though. Can't wait to get some tools and set this thing up.i think I'm going to become a big fan of Carlos guitars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much is a carlos acoustic guitar model number 240 worth

    ReplyDelete