Friday, May 31, 2013

1985(?) Carlos Model No. 238 Acoustic Guitar

Another vintage high-end dreadnought from the Korean makers, this one might be the best yet


This is the 8th or 9th Carlos acoustic guitar that I've found since the end of summer and it's another really nice copy of a Martin or Guild, like the 249 that was featured yesterday, but this one has a natural finish. The serial number on the support beam reads either 1983 or 1985, it's a little smudged and hard to decipher.

The bridge has started to come up from the body, so I'll have to repair it before it can really be used for anything serious. There is hardly any wear on this guitar though, a couple of scuff marks on the edges, but the frets are still in great shape and the finish on the neck/headstock area are as nice as ever.

It sounds nice as is and as soon as I can remove the bridge and reattach it, this will probably end up being my #1 acoustic. I may end up sounding like a broken record, but don't pass up a Carlos guitar from Korea if you come across one at a good price.

Thanks for looking, more high-resolution pictures here.

6 comments:

  1. Do you know if the top is laminate or solid? I also own a 238.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just acquired one myself for $50 @flea market. Havent played it yet. Have to repair bridge also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just acquired one myself for $50 @flea market. Havent played it yet. Have to repair bridge also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just acquired a 238 from a dumpster bin. Excellent condition. How much are these worth?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just bought a 12string Carlos today for $200 sounds awesome. Solid body, low action, pretty easy to play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found one as well a freebie...need to reattach the bridge also...

    ReplyDelete