Wednesday, August 5, 2015

1990s Ibanez TR 300 Expressionist Bass Guitar

Semi-rare Korean Fender Jazz bass copy


The latest acquisition is a mid-grade gem, a solid Jazz bass copy that has seen its share of action. You can see the rust spots on the pickups; likely created by beads of sweat and the bridge also had its fair share, before I took a toothbrush and some Bar Keeper's Friend to it. My buddy Clay at Beach City Pawn and Guitar cleaned a nice layer of gunk off the fretboard as well.

The only info I could find on this model was in the 1996 Ibanez USA catalog. Its loaded with passive pups called Power Tier. The previous owner listed the color as burnt orange, but it looks like black and this cherry red finish were the only two that were produced. The catalog also brags about the dual-mount EB7 bridge that is installed on it.

I picked this up for a few different reasons. First, its an older Ibanez and second, I was looking for a bass with a rosewood fretboard, as the other basses on the rack right now have naked maple necks. I'm also looking to be able to achieve different sounds with all three basses, as one is a P-bass, one a P/J and now this J-bass. I may take out the pups and replace them with Seymour Duncan rails to get a fatter sound with it, if its even able to be done.

Thanks for looking, more high-resolution photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment