Tuesday, August 4, 2015

1980s Mako Piranha Practice Amp

Super rare guitar amp, made in Korea. Great looking and sounding little box


Many longtime players remember the Mako name, because apparently Kaman Music made a very aggressive push with their guitars and basses in the 1980s. The first bass that I ever owned was actually a black Mako P-Bass copy with a maple neck and I remember it being a good quality instrument.

I never knew that they made amps as well. During one of my daily CraigsList sweeps, I found this little nugget in my area and picked it up for the price of an expensive lunch. There are no effects to play with, but it was definitely worth buying. The Tube Blaster function is basically its overdrive channel and it delivers a solid little crunch. This was my first purchase in a series of small amps.

The Mako logo is not made of cheap plastic, but appears to be chrome and the silver grill also gives it clean-looking vintage Fender vibe. I was surprised to find this in such great shape. Some of the pots are noisy, but that's an easy enough fix, just have to rip her open and clean her up one day.

Thanks for looking, more high-resolution photos here.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome amp! I found one almost identical to this (similar circumstances including price) except the volume and master are the first two knobs, no tube blaster control (just the rocker switch), same 3 b/m/t, then a headphone input. I had scratchy pots as well, especially the master, very crackly, sprayed them all with Deoxit 5, problem solved. Everything works great. A really solid, well-made box, great sound, speaker sounds great after 50 years! These are a fun find!

    ReplyDelete