Wednesday, February 26, 2014

1970s-80s Teac ME-15 Electret Condenser Microphone

Found this little gem while browsing through a thrift store, turns out it captures acoustic guitar recordings very well 


I didn't expect to find a piece of gear to add to my collection while walking through my local Goodwill store, but that's part of the reason why I stop in there every week or two, because you just never know what's sitting on the shelves in those places.

Teac, of course, is an electronics company that still exists to this day and they were known for putting out high-quality consoles in the 70s and 80s. This mic definitely seems like a budget model, as the build isn't all that impressive. Plastic casing and a mic that is powered by a AA battery. Looks really aren't very important when you're talking about putting sound onto disc (or tape, in the era this was produced).

 I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this little beauty performed admirably when I recorded a rough acoustic guitar demo to test it out and the adapter that came in the box allows me to use two tracks from the same take. I'll keep experimenting with it and see how it handles when laying down drum tracks.

Thanks for looking, more high-resolution photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment