Monday, April 1, 2013

1960s-70s Kay? Model No. G440 Acoustic Guitar

Vintage parlor guitar, guessing on the brand, but it's nearly identical to others I've had, made in Korea


The label inside the soundhole only lists a model number and there is no brand marker on the headstock either. It's nearly identical to a Checkmate Model No. G235 that I also picked up right around the same time, so chances are they're related.

This one plays a little better, even though the neck is separating from the body, so it doesn't stay in tune for very long. Like every Checkmate acoustic guitar that I've ever seen, this one also looks great, which is probably the reason people still collect these to this day.

The double flowered pickguards just invoke the spirit of this one's glory days. These are purely for collectors, they don't play easy enough for beginners and they don't sound anywhere near the level needed for recording and performing.

Thanks for looking, more high-resolution pictures here.

13 comments:

  1. I have this guitar. How much are you selling it for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm selling one for $80 it comes with a pic and a strap if your still interested

      Delete
    2. And in great mint condition

      Delete
    3. I'm also selling a Yamaha F335BL used and in black.

      Delete
  2. Hi there, the one that I had was very damaged. In good shape, you might get $120 from a collector. $80 would be a fair price, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got one of these for my birthday and was told that this ones model number is K442 and the person they got it from said that it was made in 1951 but not sure. I love the way this guitar handles and sounds better than anything I have had. Will inform you if I find anything about the history. found a number inside the body below the neck and there was a i think serial number that reads 424057

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got one of these for my birthday and was told that this ones model number is K442 and the person they got it from said that it was made in 1951 but not sure. I love the way this guitar handles and sounds better than anything I have had. Will inform you if I find anything about the history. found a number inside the body below the neck and there was a i think serial number that reads 424057

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a Kay K570, I have one. Mine plays very well, stays in tune except it's 42 years old and it's about time I retire it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to buy this guitar if it is still available. Email joshmims4@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guitar is made by Checkmate.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a checkmate accoustice, identical to the picture at top of this page. I am currently trying to sell it. It's in great condition still, and plays well. If anyone is interested please contact me at panzer187@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am no expert, but looks like a vintage (1960's or 1970's) Teisco Checkmate to me. I have a similar model and she is the best-sounding guitar I've ever heard, a real beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it's a long shot but do you still have it. I'd be interested in buying it.

    ReplyDelete