Saturday, August 1, 2015

1977 Kay Model No. K590 Acoustic Guitar

Vintage Korean Gibson Hummingbird copy with hardly a scratch on her, a true closet gem


I have to admit, I picked up this guitar just on looks alone and the fact that the seller lived about 2 miles away from my place didn't hurt either. This previous owner said that it was their grandpa's guitar and I would guess that it has sat in the case, in a closet or under the bed, for the better part of its existence.

This is a lighter acoustic, but definitely a better build than the Kay and Checkmate guitars that I've had in the past, which were produced in Japan in the 1960s. It does play and sound nice, just not quite as pretty as she looks or as nice as others that are laying around right now.

The sunburst finish, hummingbird pickguard and fretboard inlays all give it that classic look. This one not only has a vintage vibe, but is pushing 40 years old itself and looks relatively brand new. I'll slap some new strings on it and give it a shot. Worst-case scenario, it's a useable guitar that will look great on the wall...

Thanks for looking, more high-resolution photos here.

5 comments:

  1. I have this guitar as well. Do you know the value?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had one of these and lost it somehow, it was given to me as a gift by someone who could not play but they said I could sing well and play ok that I and I have it, I remember the date they gave it to me it was the 15th January 1984.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did gig after hi after gig with it, then I have up playing and joined a band and settled for keyboard accompaniment, which a newspaper journalist said was a good thing Lol. I miss it and would like to find another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the exact model of my very first guitar. I was 13 in 1979 when I got it.

    ReplyDelete